Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentine's Day in Boston

As I get deeper into this semester, I'm realizing how busy grad school life is becoming. Countless hours of client work, reading and papers make for a very exhausted me. But, everyone has to take a break for Valentine's Day. In a relationship or not, at least make it an excuse to love it or hate it.

Lucky for me, my boyfriend came to town (but a drinking extravaganza with the girls can never hurt anyone...well, okay not never.)

I was so excited to jump on this opportunity as an excuse to go to a restaurant in the North End and to finally make my way to Mike's Pastry. I'll start with the restaurant mini-review.

We went to Panza, on Hanover St. The calamari was some of the best I've ever had. The waiter gave us the option for small or large and actually recommended a small (thanks for the money saving). It had this spectacular sauce on it and it was gone pretty damn fast. It also came out VERY quickly - but then again we got there at 5 before the rush. I proceeded to order salmon with butternut squash risotto, and let me tell you: that was one of the most flavorful dishes I've ever tasted. The risotto melted in your mouth. My boyfriend ordered veal saltimbocca which also was delicious and came with pasta in a side bowl. I still contend that mine was better though :). So basically, the food we got was on point. I read up on reviews prior to going and some people mentioned ordering a bottle of wine rather than a glass if you plan on drinking more than one. Accordingly, we ordered a delicious bottle of Malbec for $20, which in my opinion is not expensive at all - whereas a glass started at $6/pour. As for the place, it was a nice small and quaint place on Hanover and the staff was all Italian (as far as I saw). It was a great authentic experience and I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a North End restaurant that won't break the wallet.

Finally, Mike's Pastry came next. Literally, finally. I've been meaning to go ever since I visited my Mom two years back. Every time I've passed by since the line was practically around the corner, and I expected the worst on Valentine's Day. But nope! We barely had to wait (and there were even seats available). We did take it to go however so we could enjoy it in the comfort of my warm apartment. We decided to get a slice of the red velvet cake as well as a mint chocolate chip cannoli. I've never been crazy about cannoli's because they tend to be too sweet, but this was to die for. The red velvet cake was also delicious and I didn't expect any less. Next time, however, I was told to get the lobster claws. Another excuse to make my way over there again!

I know I complain about Boston far too often, but I swear it's not always that bad! And I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can continue my adventures. But for now, I'll watch the snow drift and listen to the wind smack against my windows.

Till next time!
- A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...